Welcome back to Take a Break from Drinking! Today’s episode is on one of my absolute favorite topics: Desire.
Although my clients come to me with unique reasons for wanting to drink less, the one common thread is the wish that they didn’t desire alcohol as much as they do... “It would be so easy to drink less if I didn’t want alcohol so much!”
The next step most people take is to ramp up their willpower and focus on ways to either lessen their alcohol intake or avoid it completely. The desire-resist cycle begins. Only desire doesn’t budge. Most of us eventually tire of saying no and feeling like we’re missing out... and the cycle continues.
There’s a better way. Today, I share with you why using willpower to try to drink less is not the answer. We also explore how our thoughts drive our feelings and why it’s important to understand that our thoughts are not always an accurate representation of reality.
Grab your earbuds and tune in to learn how you can begin to lessen your desire for alcohol.
Listen to the Full Episode:
What You'll Learn from this Episode:
- The common misconceptions about desire.
- The relationship between desire and willpower and why resisting what we want is so hard.
- What creates our desire to drink.
- Some everyday thoughts that fuel our desire to drink.
- What you can start doing today to start decreasing your desire to drink.