Lately, I’ve been getting a lot of questions from listeners about how to deal with the urge to drink. Many of you want to know if it is possible to change your drinking without experiencing urges.
The answer is no.
Urges are a part of the habit cycle. The good news is that your urges will go away as you work to unwind the habit, but only if you allow the discomfort of an urge to be there instead of resisting or distracting.
Most people don't realize that they can make urges worse by turning their discomfort into chaos. Learning how to stop escalating discomfort to chaos will help make the urge to drink -- and all your negative emotions -- so much more bearable.
On this episode, you'll discover what exactly happens when you escalate discomfort into chaos and a process that you can use not only to manage your desire to drink, but also any problematic situation in your life.
Listen to the Full Episode:
What You'll Learn from this Episode:
- Two main reasons why you’re struggling with your urges.
- What it means to turn your discomfort into chaos.
- The negative effects of catastrophizing.
- The process that you can use to dispel the chaos that your mind creates.
- What you need to do in order to begin tolerating your inevitable urges.
Featured on the Show:
- Straight-Line Leadership: Tools for Living with Velocity and Power in Turbulent Times by Dusan Djukich
- Learn more about Denali National Park
- Download Your Complete Picture, a 360-degree assessment to change your drinking
- Email me at email@example.com