Whenever I took a break from drinking I hated answering other people’s questions. I found it extremely daunting to answer those questions because I was so caught up in what people would think. It held me back from change for a really long time.
Many of my clients come to me with the same issue. They want to know the perfect thing to say in response to why they’re not “partaking in the festivities” and what they should do to make this easier.
But guess what… it’s not about having the perfect answer, and it’s not about having everyone on board.
The obvious solutions often come to mind – only interact with people who support you or stop caring what others think. However, in reality, this is nearly impossible. Locking yourself away from others is not the answer and neither is interacting with only the people who think not drinking is a great idea.
Listen in to discover the absolute best solution that will not only help with this issue, but also fuel your commitment to taking a break from drinking.
Listen to the Full Episode:
What You'll Learn from this Episode:
- Why it’s so difficult to answer questions about why you’re not drinking.
- Why the obvious solutions to this issues are not a long-term answer.
- The importance of understanding what you have control over.
- What we should focus on when interacting with people who don’t support our choice to take a break.
- How to use these people’s reactions to fuel your commitment.