This week, on the Take a Break podcast, we’re delving deeper into the emotion of desire and talking about urges – what they are and how to best handle them.
The question about what to do with urges as they arise comes up often with my clients. They tell me they understand my approach and the tools I teach, but they are unsure about what to do when they take a break from drinking and suddenly an urge appears.
People often believe that when these sudden, intense urges come, it’s impossible to resist having a drink.
Listen in as we pull back the curtain on why we feel urges and why that desire to drink may feel so strong to us. We cover why using willpower may not be the best way to deal with urges and what you can start doing today to best deal with them.
And as you’re working on your urges, remember that change is not an all or nothing enterprise. It’s absolutely okay to experiment, try new things, make mistakes, and see what fits and what doesn’t.
Listen to the Full Episode:
What You'll Learn from this Episode:
- What an urge really is.
- Why urges are often so intense.
- Why it’s totally normal to struggle when you’re working on creating change.
- 4 things you can do when an urge appears.
- Why resisting urges is not the best way to handle them.
- The problem with distracting yourself from urges.
- The absolute best way of handling your urge.
- The only way of creating lasting change.