Welcome to the very first episode of Take a Break from Drinking! I am so happy to be here, sharing this podcast with you (it’s been a long time in the making). My name is Rachel Hart and I am a life coach who coaches people who want to take a break from drinking.
This podcast is for you if you are looking to slow down, or even quit, drinking but don’t know how. Maybe you like the parts of you that are more easily expressed when you drink alcohol – being more laid-back, more talkative, funnier, more adventurous etc. – but you wish you could be that way without the buzz!
I know how you feel because that was me, too. Until I found the solution that started my journey as a life coach, inspired my recently-published book, Why Can’t I Drink like Everyone Else?, and brought me here with you today. Take a Break from Drinking is my way to reach even more people with my coaching and the tools that have worked so successfully for me and my clients.
Let’s get started!
In today’s episode, I explain the 4 key pieces to my approach to taking a break from drinking, starting with how the story of alcohol is enmeshed in our opinion of ourselves whether we decide to imbibe or not. Alcohol has a reputation as the recipe for a good time, a surefire way to unwind, a way to take the edge off, and a way to make you more talkative. There’s almost no quicker, easier (legal and socially-acceptable) fix to change how you feel.
But by continuously using alcohol to cope with negative emotions, we teach our brain that there’s a really easy way to feel better. Listen in today to learn how we’re going to work through the process of unraveling everything you think you know about why we drink and how we can control our desire for alcohol.
Listen to the Full Episode:
What You'll Learn from this Episode:
- My personal story and how I got to where I am now.
- Why my approach is different than others you may have tried before.
- The importance of understanding that alcohol is morally neutral.
- Why you don’t need to be a “better” person to solve your issue with drinking.
- Why overdrinking is not a black and white issue.
- How learning to see drinking as a habit is the key to changing it.
- The difference between predisposition and predetermination and why it’s important to know the difference.
- How thoughts, emotions, and actions are related and why you should care.
Featured on the Show:
- Why Can't I Drink Like Everyone Else?: A Step-By-Step Guide to Understanding Why You Drink and Knowing How to Take a Break by Rachel Hart